Sunday, September 23, 2007

Oliver taking some quiet time away from 'talker' Poppy!


What makes some cats more vocal than others? Our eldest Oliver, has never been a big talker, he has always been the strong silent type. Except for the little chirrup in the morning to say hello, or gentle meow when he wants my husband to rub his head.

Ever since Poppy was a tiny kitten she had the lungs of an opera singer! If she was locked out of a room, she would Meow, Meow, Meow! If she was chasing something or saw something she wanted but couldn't get at, she would do this little bark type noise, that always made me laugh!

She'll be a year next month and she hasn't changed. Instead she has developed quite a selection of noises, all for different occasions! When I come home from being out, they both run over to say 'hi' Oliver will usually stay quiet, giving me leg rubs and head bumps, Poppy gives her high short meow and tries to stick to my leg so that it's hard to walk in without tripping over!!

They have equally different styles to get attention if they happen to be locked out of the bedroom. Oliver stands on his hind legs and jingles the keys that are in the door until it wakes me and I let him in. Poppy has a more direct approach! She simply sits outside and Meow's at the top of her lungs, getting increasingly more impatient sounding until I open the door! I have on occasion ignored this in an attempt to break the habit, and she will stop eventually, the purchase of a set of ear plugs has helped greatly!

Mostly I like that she is a talker though, and I love the little noises Oliver makes when he does have something to say. He would probably say more but Poppy makes it hard to get a word in edge ways! You know us females, we do like to talk, hehehehe!!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I have a talker too - some of it even sounds like words. If I answer we go back and forth like a conversation. The other cat looks at us like we're nuts.

Sandra said...

I know what you mean! I've had great chats with Poppy, hehehe! My husband is convinced she is calling me 'Mam' sometimes when she Meows in the morning, lol!