Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sandpaper Kisses


I had to work away from home for the past few days and I have to say it gets tougher and tougher to leave my two babies (and husband, of course!). I'm sure I looked every inch a lunatic sitting out in the Cork countryside talking on my mobile to Poppy, listening to her purr her replies!! Oliver isn't much of a talker on the phone, typical male really!

When I returned home last night, the welcome I got made it worthwhile. They looked so happy to see me, I was rushed at the door as I came in, there was a lot of meowing and purring and tangling up of legs and cats! Almost caused me an injury in their delight to have me home. I'm sure some of that delight was due to the fact that they do not receive the same level of attention and spoiling from my hubby as they do from me :) If I could speak cat, their meows were probably saying 'Yay! Mammy's back! Treats, Cat milk, No more dry food!!'

They made sure I wasn't going anywhere without them knowing about it for the rest of the night, I felt as if I had two bodyguards glued to my legs, following me everywhere (including the loo!). Both of them joined me as I relaxed in a bubble bath, Poppy perched on the side of the bath near my head and Oliver keeping watch from the bathroom windowsill.

I don't think there are many things as pleasant as a welcome home from animals who love you, especially cats. Hearing them purr, getting licks from their grainy tongues (sandpaper kisses!) and having them curl up with you as you enjoy being home. I came across this poem and I think it describes this side of living with a cat beautifully :)

Cats are Wonderful Friends
Gentle eyes that see so much,paws that have the quiet touch
Purrs to signal "all is well"and show more love than words could tell
Graceful movements touched with pride,a calming presence by our side
A friendship that takes time to grow
Small wonder why we love them so.
Author Unknown

No comments: