Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cats in Art


First of all my apologise for not posting all week. I've been very busy at work and just didn't get the time :( But I'm back now and rearing to go :)

A good friend of mine gave me a really lovely book recently. It's called 'Cat...Wild cats and Pampered Pets' by Andrew Edney. It was a perfect gift as it combines two of my great loves, cats and art. The book contains beautiful images of cats represented in art works down through the ages, mixed with quotes from literature.

I thought it would be nice to include excerpts from the book from time to time. A sort of 'Cats in Arts' section! The funny thing is, despite the fact I am a painter I have never painted our two lovelies! I've painted cats but never ours, something I plan to remedy soon. When I do I'll post the finished product here :)

Anyway, the first painting I've selected from the book is 'The New Arrival' by Horatio Henry Couldery

The New Arrival

I like this painting because it shows the little ginger kitten bristling and facing off against the much larger tabby. It reminds me of Poppy when she gets a fright from Oliver, puffed up to twice her size and hopping along sideways!! Always makes me laugh.


Couldrey was one of the best known Victorian painters of animals and especially for his very detailed paintings of cats. You can check out more about the artist here http://www.burlington.co.uk/picture/cm/content/1516.

This is another painting by Couldrey, not in the book, but it's so sweet I had to include it.

The Unexpected Guest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pics. sounds like an interesting book. too bad they probably dont sell it in english here. cant wait to see your paintings of your cats btw :)

Sandra said...

Hey Jenn :) It's available to buy on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0823005712/sr=1-1/qid=1188235900/ref=olp_product_details/002-6203871-9170467?ie=UTF8&qid=1188235900&sr=1-1&seller=

thats the link (mad long I know :P) if you want to check it out. Glad you like my arty section, hope my own work holds up :).

Kitty Cat Cast said...

Hi there!